Skip to main content

Basement Framing

Framing taking a lot longer than expected, but I'm taking my time to get it right.  Obviously not done yet.  Won't do the beams between the studs until I have the doors installed and the rest of the studs installed.  May also need to redo the existing back wall in the theater, as I don't think the beam on the floor is treated.  Plus, I'm using a treated beam on the bottom, then stacking a stud 2x4 on top.  This will allow me to only run the drywall about 1.5" above the floor.  This will be covered by the molding.  The idea is that being a basement there is a chance of getting water in there at some point, and raising the drywall up gives me a little margin of error.  It also can provide a "channel" should I want to run wires along the floor.

I have a temporary support wall along the stairs up so that I can redo the floor joists around the stairs and support the floor joists correctly as I open it up.

Here is a shot of the framing at the base of the stairs for the bike room:
Here is a reverse angle showing the framing of the landing room and office:
Here is the hallway leading towards the theater:
As you get to the theater and turn right, this is the new space (formerly workshop) that will have a hallway, enclosure for the furnace, and an office:
Reverse shot from inside the new office:
Now that I can see all the walls, it really is making it obvious that this is a large area and there is a lot of usable space down there.  It's one thing to see it on paper, and another to see it in person. Need to do the math, but I think it's about 1200sqft of finished area downstairs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bathroom Waterproofing

Waterproofing the shower.  1 primer coat, 5 coats on the walls, 7 on the pan.  Tested and approved by the inspector.  Next is upper pan and then tile.

Basement Bathroom Progress

 Just for reference, here is the original, claustrophobic, non-code-compliant basement bathroom. And here is progress on the much larger bathroom, even though to overall footprint is the same size. The shower has been expanded to fill the entire width, and the ceiling raised in the shower area.  The original was a generic shower stall, and was very dark and cramped.  This will be much brighter and while the dimensions are small, won't feel nearly as cramped.

Harry Potter Hole

Harry Potter Hole, as my friends started calling it, has had its internal trim installed, and I've put paint on the shelving below it.  This will look good once the flooring is installed.