Skip to main content

Sunken Living Area Test

I had been considering doing some sort of built-in sectional in the sunken part of the living room.  I realized that with the ugly black sectional I now had as surplus, I could us that to experiment with the fit and livability of the idea.

So, here is the sunken area before
 Here I've removed the carpet, exposing the built out area.  There is a slight dip to it, so I knew I'd need to rebuild that section anyway before doing the hardwood floor, so there really wasn't anything to loose by doing this.

 Now the steps are cut out.  You can also see the useless door to the back yard.  I've always planned to remove it and make it look like the remaining glass sections, so loosing that landing area and railing is no loss.

 All done.  I like the look.  It does seem a little cluttered, but some furniture selection and removal might take care of that.  Long term, the plan is for the upper area to be hardwood flooring, while the sunken area will have carpeting of some sort.  This should set it apart even more.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basement Bathroom Progress

 Just for reference, here is the original, claustrophobic, non-code-compliant basement bathroom. And here is progress on the much larger bathroom, even though to overall footprint is the same size. The shower has been expanded to fill the entire width, and the ceiling raised in the shower area.  The original was a generic shower stall, and was very dark and cramped.  This will be much brighter and while the dimensions are small, won't feel nearly as cramped.

Bathroom Waterproofing

Waterproofing the shower.  1 primer coat, 5 coats on the walls, 7 on the pan.  Tested and approved by the inspector.  Next is upper pan and then tile.

Harry Potter Hole

Harry Potter Hole, as my friends started calling it, has had its internal trim installed, and I've put paint on the shelving below it.  This will look good once the flooring is installed.