Skip to main content

Plumbing

I'd been putting it off for a while, but finally started tackling the plumbing for the laundry room.  Doing this right necessitates doing the plumbing in the downstairs bathroom and the upstairs 1/2 bath as well.  Here is a shot of all the old plumbing removed.
 Here is the new 4" ABS main line.  You can see the new splice that goes up to the laundry room sink.
 Here is where it cuts over to the old line, and to the 2" main drain that comes from the kitchen.  Originally this had been cut down to 1.5" for no good reason other than a lazy plumber, which wasn't up to code.  I could have left it alone and grandfathered it in, but better to do the job right.  Now I have 2" abs on all drains, and it only reduces to 1.5" at the trap for each sink, when I get them installed.
 To get the plumbing right, I realized I'd have to tear the existing 1/2 bath appart.  This isn't really an issue as the drywall patchwork was pretty bad, and the existing appliances were pretty ugly, so I'd planned to do it at some time.  I'd have preferred to have waited for that job, but this changed those plans.
 Here the ugly black lenolium has been pulled up, as well as the old toilet.  The subfloor around the toilet drain is in pretty bad condition.  This isn't really a problem though, as I plan to redo the subfloor anyway.
So as of today I have all of the waste water lines installed.  They are snug-fit, and not glued yet, as I'll want code approval before doing that.  I'll also be adding a lot of supports and tie-downs to secure everything.

Once this is all done I'll start tackling the water intake lines.  Right now they are cut off at the old galvanized pipes, with plugs closing those off for now.  I may end up doing a fair amount of that stuff, as I'll need to add the water line for the ice maker, and the revised kitchen, which will move the sink location a little.  I'm not sure how much I'll need to tear the kitchen appart now in order to do this, or if I'll defer the job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bathroom Waterproofing

Waterproofing the shower.  1 primer coat, 5 coats on the walls, 7 on the pan.  Tested and approved by the inspector.  Next is upper pan and then tile.

Basement Bathroom Progress

 Just for reference, here is the original, claustrophobic, non-code-compliant basement bathroom. And here is progress on the much larger bathroom, even though to overall footprint is the same size. The shower has been expanded to fill the entire width, and the ceiling raised in the shower area.  The original was a generic shower stall, and was very dark and cramped.  This will be much brighter and while the dimensions are small, won't feel nearly as cramped.

Harry Potter Hole

Harry Potter Hole, as my friends started calling it, has had its internal trim installed, and I've put paint on the shelving below it.  This will look good once the flooring is installed.