Skip to main content

Nice Kitchen Ya Got There

Was in a tech seminar all weekend so I wasn't able to work on the house.  I think I overcompensated a little this Monday after work.


All torn up.  I can't work to remove that vent pipe until I have enough time this weekend to deal with any potential roof leaks, so it will stay there for a few days.  I really needed to know what was behind the cabinets, and for some reason I lost the hot water to the sink when I pulled the old line.  I'm betting some junk came loose can got up into the valve there.  So, I decided to kill a few birds with one stone.  Tear the old cabinets out, verify the state of the plumbing, put the cabinets in an arrangement matching the current layout plan, live with that for a little while to see if it's the layout that I want to stick with.

Here is the result with all of the cabinets in place


Based on initial evaluation, I think this layout really works.  This shrinks the kitchen slightly, but it feels more usable.  The refrigerator is now centered, and the ends of the kitchen are easier to reach.  For now I have the sink way over on the side, because I needed to clear the current plumbing so I would have access.  Common knowledge says the sink should be centered, but we'll see.  I kinda like it off to the side, because it provides a nice, large section of unbroken countertop.  We'll see.

Having the cabinets mobile now allows me to finish redoing the subfloor too, so I'll probably do that pretty soon so I can't see into the basement from the upstairs anymore.

This plan currently has the base cabinets a total length of 15' from outside edge to outside edge of the cabinets.  The u-sections are coming out 5' 6".  These don't account for overhang of the countertop on the bar area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bathroom Waterproofing

Waterproofing the shower.  1 primer coat, 5 coats on the walls, 7 on the pan.  Tested and approved by the inspector.  Next is upper pan and then tile.

Basement Bathroom Progress

 Just for reference, here is the original, claustrophobic, non-code-compliant basement bathroom. And here is progress on the much larger bathroom, even though to overall footprint is the same size. The shower has been expanded to fill the entire width, and the ceiling raised in the shower area.  The original was a generic shower stall, and was very dark and cramped.  This will be much brighter and while the dimensions are small, won't feel nearly as cramped.

Harry Potter Hole

Harry Potter Hole, as my friends started calling it, has had its internal trim installed, and I've put paint on the shelving below it.  This will look good once the flooring is installed.